The history of Oktava factory started since its foundation in Tula in 1927.
The number of radio fans was constantly increasing at that time. In Tula province radio fans united in Radio Friends Association. The first meeting of Radio Friends Association (RFA) of the province took place in January 1926. By resolution of the meeting a workshop on production of radio components was opened in June 1927. It was the beginning of Tula radio factory.
Radio industry booming at that time was badly in need of different parts and components. At first a small staff of the workshop produced capacitors and contact terminals, contact sliders and earthing switches, rheostats and sockets. Then the workshop developed and expanded in terms of staff number and area taken and the Province Council of RFA renamed it in “Radiodetal” (Radio Component) factory.
Staring from1929 — the beginning of the first five-year plan — perspective tasks of the factory stipulated a significant growth of parts volume and product range. The factory mastered production of earthing switches, filament rheostats, sockets and loud speakers — electrical acoustic products which have become principal for the factory thereafter. Staff of the factory included technically literate experts designing and applying radio communication circuits of crystal and tube receivers and initiating new developments.
Taking into account such deeply-routed specialization, Tula Industrial Complex resolved to transfer the factory to the People’s Commissariat for Post Offices and Telegraphs in 1930. On January 1, 1931 it was renamed in Radio Factory No. 7 of Manufacturing Enterprises Administration of People’s Commissariat for Post Offices and Telegraphs.
By its own efforts the radio factory managed to create some types of receivers designed for serial production. Factory laboratory produced TESD-2 receiver with AC mains supply, production of which was started in 1934. Hall dynamic speaker from Tula took the second place at All-Soviet Union Contest of Radio Equipment in Moscow in January 1934, and room dynamic speaker took the third place. T-35 receiver, recognized as the best one in the Soviet Union, was created in 1936, and in two years it was replaced by improved T-37 receiver that took a medal place at Communication Equipment Exhibition.
It was how the company grew and developed — representative of the new sector of national economy — radio industry. Thanks to Tula workers and engineers thousands of Soviet people could afford listening to radio programs on the territory of the whole country.
In 1936 the factory manufactured the first dynamic microphone DMK, which had been produced for almost 20 years. Range of dynamic speakers was expanded in terms of power and moisture resistance. The first acoustic laboratory and own production of cast permanent magnets appeared. In 1939 specialization of the factory – acoustic equipment – was finally established.
One of the main products of the post-war period was studio dynamic microphone RDM; later on a vast range of dynamic microphones for household appliances and electrical magnetic insert receivers for telephone sets was mastered.
The factory participated in equipment of Ostankino TV Center with MD-66 and MK-13 microphones.High-performance automatic assembly and parameter control lines appeared in production workshops; unique echo-free chambers were created.
In 60’s cooperation with the Defense Procurement and Acquisition was started. Since that time on military communication facilities are equipped with Oktava sound facilities.
The 80’s was the period of extensive exploration of electret microphones. Their product range counted dozens of designations, and they became the most popular and replaced other types of microphones. Headsets of GBSH series were created and explored for telephone communication, operators and flight dispatchers, and also space operation centers.
At the beginning of 90-s Oktava started producing Electronica U-03 hearing aids, making its great contribution for social rehabilitation of hard-of-hearing people.
Items produced in Tula are operated in sound recording studios of England and the United States, Germany and far-away Australia. Results of independent testing published in respected specialized magazines prove that the rating of Oktava microphones is pretty high.
Regular participation of Oktava OJSC in international exhibitions (Frankfurt MusikMesse, Germany and Music Moscow) tells about increased authority of the company, its professionalism and experience of its employees.
Recently the company has received a number of awards. The factory is a prize winner of the “One Hundred Best Products of Russia” contest, prize winner of the Russian National Award “Best National Innovation” in “Studio Equipment” nomination. The company received “Grand-prix” of International Program “Partnership for Progress”.
For the whole history of the factory existence its main value have been its employees, friendly team of like-minded people, enthusiasts of their specialty, experienced and conscientious workers!